Tuesday, May 12, 2009
The last two weeks
So I thought for my benefit I would write out the last two weeks of my life. It's been horrible and for a brief moment a feeling of success, which ended faster than I would have wished. I thought if I wrote out the whole process I could find out where I went wrong. So the president of my company emailed me back in the beginning of February asking if I'd move from Sales Administration to Marketing. I took on the challenge. I've been working on mini projects for the last three months. Mid February I was given our 2009 wholesale catalog copy with edits done by the director of sales and vp of development. I typed up the corrections and sent them off to the graphics guy to change. I found a lot of errors that the other two missed, so I typed up my own edits and sent them off. The graphics guy then printed out another copy and I kept finding more errors. I went through this process about 4 times. By the end of all those changes the print out went to the vp of engineering to get his final edits. It's now April 10th and the vp of engineering’s edits are going to the graphics guy to update. April 23rd the president is yelling at my boss the vp of development. The catalog is still not printed and it's almost May. He is furious, so he calls me in yelling at me because I should have taken this project from my boss a long time ago. After 20 minutes of yelling he finally said, "Melissa you're taking this on, give me a date by the end of the day when it will be completed". So I ran all over the place to all the vendors to get a delivery date and the best quote. The end of the day I committed to May 8th. My president was happy. The next week I went through the printout once more. The graphics guy did not do some of the edits I gave him. I call in my vp and we go over the things he must change. I sat next to him the whole time. He is told to make more changes before I leave that next Thursday. All day Friday I'm at the printers getting things together. We are waiting for updates from the graphics guy and he sent them over and some of them are wrong. Shouldn't a graphics guy know how to send hi-def images? By Monday, May 4th I'm going through the catalog finding changes the graphics guy never made. I'm so angry and I have the printing company's graphics guy do the changes. The last 40 images took so much time to update at the printers and the kid at my company didn't make the changes. Then I find out that the printing company is charging us for 22 hours for changes we've had their graphics guy do. My vp is angry because they didn't tell us we'd charge them. So now all changes are stop per my vp. There are a few changes I wish I still could have made, but we live without them. I deliver the catalog on May 8th. My president is not there. Monday morning he comes in angry. Why are these images wrong, why is this application wrong? I don't know. So I go get the changes the graphics guy made from the vp of engineering and there is like 30 corrections he did not make. It doesn't matter, it's all my fault. I am paid well and the graphics guy only makes $10 an hour. I should have checked all the corrections he has made from the vp of engineering even though it was done before I was in charge of the catalog. If he sends me back to customer service I will quit. I'm so angry. I worked so hard on this catalog. I cried over it, I sweat over it, I lost so much family time over it and now it's worthless. I go back to work on Thursday so see where I'll end up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am so sorry sweetie...I am praying hard for the right thing to happen whatever that may be. Hang in there. I love you. You did a great job. All anyone can ask is our best and you more than delivered!!!
wow... melissa, im speechless. will definately be praying for you!!!
Post a Comment